The 2017 NISOA National Convention concluded successfully on July 23, 2017 in Nashville, Tennessee. This year’s Convention hosted education for officials, discussion and guidance for administrators and chapters, and a National Referee Academy.
The Saturday session opened with Keynote Speaker Mark Dreibelbeis, Associate Commissioner of the North Carolina High School Athletic Association. As the Supervisor of Officials for the NCHSAA, Dreibelbis is in charge of NFHS rules interpretations and the training/supervision of all officials in the NCHSAA program. He challenged attendees with powerful ideas, and provided motivation and support.
Our great sponsors, RefEdge Pro™, OfficialSports and Ascension were available throughout the convention to speak with attendees and sample products. Saturday night’s dinner included great southern BBQ, a country western band and the annual awards ceremony.
Executive Board Actions
- Approved reduction in annual renewing member dues to $75 for 2018. All other dues categories are unchanged for 2018.
- No changes to the NISOA Physical Performance Test for 2018.
- Kelly Witt (NE) appointed as Region VIII representative.
- Approved issuing renewing and new members a badge for 2017.
- Raymond Bernabei Honor Award – Dr. Joe Machnik, South Carolina
- NISOA Hall of Fame Administrator – George Wescott, New Jersey
- NISOA Hall of Fame Referee – Paul Scott, Utah
- Life Member Award – John Van de Vaarst, New Jersey
- Robert Sumpter Excellence in Teaching Award – Randall Reyes, Tri County CA
- Mario Donnangelo Interscholastic Award – John Kipp, North Ohio
- Rose Bernabei Woman Referee of Year Award – Brooke Mayo, Middle Tennessee
- Recognition Award – Bill Nest, North Ohio
- Appreciation Award – Claude Airall, Middle Tennessee
Congratulations to all on their remarkable achievements, and we thank you for your service to NISOA. Thank you to all of those who attended and helped make the 2017 NISOA National Convention a great success!